Kathmandu: Home Minister Balkrishna Khand has informed the House about the incidences of floods in several rivers in Sindhupalchowk district.
As he said, five people were confirmed to have died and 20 others have gone missing in the June 15 floods from the Melamchi, Indrawati, Yangri and Larke rivers. In a session of the National Assembly today, the Home Minister said six were injured in the disaster while 338 houses were completely damaged. Likewise, seven cemented bridges, 14 suspension bridges, one fish farm and 32 government buildings were damaged by the floods. Similarly, the disaster had its implications on the Headworks of the Melamchi Drinking Water Project.
As the Home Minister briefed the Upper House, the search and rescue efforts were launched in coordination with the District Disaster Management Committee and local levels immediately after the government was informed about the incident. A meeting of all security bodies and related ministries was held in the coordination of the Ministry and the meeting directed the authorities concerned to assess the losses from the disaster, formulate action plans for rebuilding and reconstruction works in the affected areas.
Accordingly, the estimations of losses have begun, according to the Minister. A team of experts from various agencies such as the Department of Mines and Geology, Department of Hydrology and Meteorology, Department of Hydro Resources and Irrigation, geologists and engineers led by the CEO of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority had already conducted an on-site visit, the Minister said. Minister Khan shared that 35 houses were damaged in the massive flood that occurred in Melamchi for the second time this monsoon on July 31 and August 1.
He also informed that the natural disaster also damaged an RRC-bridge, one suspension bridge and a community building. Since the highway leasing to the Helambu area has been obstructed due to the incident, efforts were underway to operate the roads such as Kathmandu-Sundarijal road, Bhanjyang-Chitre road and Kutumsanga to the source of Melamchi. The meeting on Sunday at the Ministry of Home has decided to deploy an expert team to carry out a study of the risky source of the Melamchi river, resume the alternative way through Sundarijal and Helambu and for the Ministry of Physical Planning to construct the Bailey bridge linking Chanaute and Kiul of Helambu, he informed.
The Ministry of Water Supply and Sanitation has been directed to form a joint team with the Authority which would access the losses incurred and risks involved at the Melamchi dams, informed Minister Khand.